Right-Click Disable

Right-Click Disable

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Life Happens

There are events in our lives that forever change our perspectives--your first love, going off to college, your first job, getting married, the birth of your first child, the death of a parent, and many other events that are unique to each individual. I experienced one such event earlier this summer--a work layoff--and although I had been on the "laying off" side of the table many times before, this was my first time on the "laid off" side of the table.

It is difficult to put into words the thoughts, emotions, and psychological effects of such an event. Frankly, I would be too embarrassed to convey how I truly felt, and even my wife probably does not understand how deeply this event "rocked my world"; but looking back on it all, I can honestly say that I am better off having experienced such an event.

Do not misunderstand me, I feel for those who have been laid off and are still looking for work after many, many months. I was fortunate to find work after only a couple of months off; but for me, the layoff and the events that followed (unemployment, job searching, financial struggles, etc.) taught me that life is short, work is just work, family is important, faith is everything, and that no matter how much you might plan for it...life happens.

For many, their perspective (right or wrong) is reality; yet sometimes perspective needs adjusted, and reality remains...well...just reality. For me, the events of this summer more closely aligned my perspective with reality. Reality is that someone else at work can replace us. Reality is that money is not everything and that family and faith are what brings true happiness. Reality is that in just three short years my oldest son leaves for college. Reality is that I am not getting any younger; and reality is...life happens.

So give yourself a reality check, adjust your perspective, and embrace that life will never be the same...only better.

No comments:

Post a Comment