Right-Click Disable

Right-Click Disable

Monday, December 17, 2012

Life Influences: Butch Etheredge

I loved playing football in high school, and played under a great coach named Mr. Butch Etheredge (Coach Etheredge).  Coach Etheredge was a gentle giant of a man who pushed his players hard, yelled at them on the field, and supported and invested in their lives off the field.  His enthusiasm for sports was contagious, and his love for life was even more contagious.  Throughout my high school years, I also had the privilege of being good friends with Coach Etheredge's son Doug.  Doug and I used to cruise Silver Springs Boulevard in Coach Etheredge's 1969 El Camino SS 396.  It was one bad car and always made heads turn.

One football memory I have is from a game against Landmark Christian--who had a very good running back.  When we arrived in the motor coach at their field, Coach Etheredge gave us a pep talk and played the song "Eye of the Tiger" from the movie Rock IV.  The pep talk worked because we shut down Landmark's running back and won the game, and I also ran a 99-yard touchdown.  Every time I hear that song today it takes me back to that pep talk and game.

After nearly 20 years away, I visited OCA in July 2010 and had lunch with Coach Etheredge, who currently functions as the Maintenance Supervisor and Athletic Director.  We rode to lunch in my brother-in-laws Toyota Spyder with the top down, glasses on, and hair blowing in the wind--it was a blast.  It was great catching up with Coach Etheredge over lunch, and then walking through the gymnasium lobby and looking at all the trophies and plaques.  I sure miss those football years, but greatly enjoyed reflecting on those times with Coach Etheredge.  It is great to  know that Coach Etheredge is still investing in the lives of OCA students today.

This post is dedicated to him and his continuing service to students today.  Coach Etheredge showed me that I could accomplish more than I imagined and to never give up...and to enjoy cars.  Coach Etheredge, thank you for investing in me.  You are remembered.
Coach Etheredge and me in July 2010 at OCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment