Right-Click Disable

Right-Click Disable

Monday, December 24, 2012

Life Influences: Tom Smith

Tom Smith was my dad and a person who had a great impact on me until cancer took his life on April 5, 2005.  Even after his passing, the example he provided continues to impact my professional and personal life today.  My dad was a man a character and his word was everything.  When he said something to a person, you knew that he would follow through on what he had said.  My dad was a family man, and believed in, upheld, and nurtured the essence of a family.

The influence of my dad helped shape my professional life.  One of the driving principles I utilize in the workplace today is honesty.  I have practiced this my entire career, and have found it simplifies work, builds trust, and promotes teamwork.  Most staff I hire are quickly informed of this character trait with the explanation that through experiences and time, I hope they too will practice honesty.  My experience is that staff quickly realize the benefits and adopt this trait, and the influence of my dad is then passed on to others.

The family values I hold close also reflect the example provided by my dad.  My dad worked hard, played hard, but also enjoyed family time.  I am a family man to the core!  I love my two boys, my wife, and yes, even our two dogs--after all, they are a part of our family too.  Our family time often involves camping in our travel trailer.  We love to camp, and have seen many great sights in Oregon, and plan to see many more sights in the coming years (Canada, California, and maybe even Alaska).
Our KZ Spree 318bhs LX and Ford Excursion V10
Not only was my dad a major influence on my life, he was also my best friend.  We could talk about anything, and he would provide me advice from both a godly and a personal experience perspective.  I have taken this approach with my two boys, and hope that they too would continue this practice with their future children.

My dad also influenced my love for cars and working on them.  Unfortunately, my boys have not taken up the love of working on cars, but they do love new cars!  My dad and I spend hours and hours together while working on the Malibu, but that time was also spend discussing God, family, work, and life in general.  I miss those times, but have many pictures and videos of my dad and me, and the Malibu.
The Malibu--need I say anything more?
Dad, this post is dedicated to you and the example you provided to me.  I miss you, love you, and desire to be the type of father with my boys that you were with me.  I also realize that if I only become half the man that you were, I will still be more than any man on this earth.  Dad, you are forever remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment